Tuesday, July 27, 2010

My Leave in Conditioner Mix - Kinky Curly Knot Today

Finding the right leave in conditioner was a major task for me. During my search I was transitioning so finding a leave in that worked with both textures was tough. A couple of weeks before my crochet braids I bought Cantu Shea Butter (CSB) leave in based on the rave reviews from other naturals. Since my transitioning hair loved Shea butter I thought this conditioner will work and gave it a try. Before my crochet braids I only used the leave in once and I had great results.


After taking out the crochet braids, naturally I went back to the CSB but with a twist. This time I will use the CSB in my leave in conditioner mix (thanks Kimmytube for the recipe). The mix consisted of CSB, aloe vera juice, cocoa nut oil, and castor oil in order to have a leave in with the right ph balance for my hair. The ph for this mix was a 5 and CSB alone is 6 on the ph scale. After using this mix for two days I was disappointed because the mix left white residue in my hair. Plus my hair was a little dry the next day. So I went back to the mixing board.

The next attempt I used CSB, aloe vera juice, and jojoba oil. Unfortunately, I didn’t test the ph for this mix because I didn’t have my ph strips. This mix was better than the first attempt but not the best. Since I still experienced the white residue I blamed the CSB as the culprit. For the next attempt at perfecting my mix I bought the Kinky Curly Knot Today (KC).

The new mix consists of KC, aloe vera juice, cocoa nut oil, and castor oil. The ph for this mix is 5 on the ph scale. This time it worked and I found my leave in concoction. The next day my hair still felt moisturized, soft, and not greasy. My honey loved the fact that my hair was not greasy. Remember this mix worked on my transitioning hair. Once 100% natural, I was eager to use the mix. The KC worked amazingly on my natural hair and gave definition to my curls. Amazing and exciting!! Again, the next day my hair was very moisturized, soft, and non-greasy. Perfect. Now, I wish it would have given my hair more shine but my trusty cocoa nut oil does the trick every time. Next on my list to try is the Kinky Curly Curling Custard since I had wonderful results with the leave in. Of course I’ll keep you ladies posted!!

2 comments:

The Naturalista said...

I love the knot today. However, I finish it so quickly.

Ms. Harmony said...

I'm in love as well. With my new concoction I think it will stretch for me because I don't have to use it everyday. It really helps to lock in the moisture. Plus I'm wearing flat twists as a protective style right now.

Followers