Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Embracing my New Growth


I’m starting to understand what it means to be natural: embracing your new growth. This epiphany was just this morning. A couple of days ago I attempted a flat twist out. The results weren’t the best but I plan to try again. The right side of my hair (sorry no pics) had defined ringlets that I absolutely loved. Then my left side was not defined at all. So when this happens a cute “pin up” always saves the day. Normally, when I wear braidouts I re-braid every night. This time I chose not to re-twist and wear my satin scarf and bonnet. The curly ringlets in my bang from the previous day were flat and fluffing did not work. So I just pined up my bangs and I think my hair is really cute.


Notice what I said “I think”. What I think is very important because living up to other’s expectations is life consuming. Receiving compliments at work was not expected because I know others may not like my hair. HOWEVER, just before I started writing this blog I did get two compliments. Compliments are wonderful and I no shame in saying that…okay I digress.

On my journey I’m learning that I have to embrace my new growth and be fierce with it. What others think is not important and transitioning to natural makes me happy. The day I’m fully natural is the day I will meet the true me. I’ve heard other natural ladies say this and I know it sounds a little cliché but it’s true.

In the meantime, I plan to continue reading my preferred blogs and viewing my favorite natural beauties on you tube as inspiration. Thank goodness for the plethora of information out there on Natural hair because without it my journey will be nonexistent.

Here a few pics of my pin up today.


2 comments:

Robyn said...

Love the up-do! It looks like we are on the same natural hair journey and we are both from the great state of Texas!!!
I wish you all the best and I will definitely be checking in to see how you're doing!!!

Ms. Harmony said...

Thanks so much! We can definitely learn together on this journey.

Followers