Monday, February 22, 2010

Shampoo Experimentation and Results

Moisture is my hair’s best friend. So I’m constantly trying to come up with the perfect concoction for my transitioning hair. The more new growth comes in the more I realize that old “staples” are not having the same effect. Honestly, this awkward product stage, as I call it, is not fun. Through many failed hairstyling attempts I learned that dry hair equals frizz and frizz is not my friend.


Since my hair craves moisture I decided to experiment with baking soda and apple cider vinegar. I watch many, many you tube videos on this technique along with my own research. I found that the baking soda and apple cider vinegar mix makes the perfect ph balance for hair. Also, every video I watch gave great reviews on using one or both of these products but it’s best to use both. Since I’m not a big fan of “lather” during a shampoo giving this experiment a try was not an issue.

Instead of washing my hair in the shower I opted to use the sink due to complete laziness. Here are the steps followed:

1. Section my hair down the middle with H.E. “None of Your Frizzness” conditioner on dry hair

2. Detangled with my shower comb

3. mixed ¼ cup baking soda with 16 oz of water

4. mixed Apple Cider Vinegar (didn’t measure) with 16 oz of water

5. Poured baking soda mix concentrating on my scalp only

6. Rinsed with ACV mix

7. Rinsed again with tap water

8. DC with ORS Replenishing Conditioner – 30 minutes w/heat

Styling:

1. moisturized with my KKHC/Glycerin mix

2. added Totally Twisted styling gel

3. EVCO to seal

4. Spritz with water

5. rolled hair with magnetic rollers

Results: Surprisingly, soft and moisturized curls! After the no’poo treatment my hair felt really soft even softer after DC’ing; plus I used styling gel. I was so shocked because usually my hair feels crispy after a wash. Then I have to dc in order to add the moisture back but not this time.

The next day my hair felt soft and moisturized but I still added a little of Hawaiian Silky for good measure. The plan is to use this no’poo method for the next month before deciding to give up shampoo.

Here are a few pics of my curls the next day after taking out the rollers.

No comments:

Followers