Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year/New Hair Routine

Since November I’ve experimented with the “Curly Girl” method because my hair stayed dry and brittle for some reason. Before trying the method, I experimented with different sulfate free shampoos and still no change for some reason. In order to follow the method correctly I read the book by Lorraine Massey, “Curly Girl: The Handbook”. I will give a review and my thoughts on the book in a separate post.
Surprisingly, my hair has responded quite nicely to the method and it stays moisturized. From now on shampoo is no longer a part of my regimen including sulfate free shampoo. The one concern I had but did not experience was itchy scalp. Right before experimenting with the method my scalp was very itchy and dry but not since eliminating shampoo.
Another change in my regimen is how I detangle. Instead of four sections my hair is split down the middle and my fingers are used to remove tangles. Of course my hair is saturated with conditioner before detangling. When I jump in the shower to cleanse my scalp I continue to run my fingers downward to remove the rest of the shed hairs. At the same time, since I’m using a racking downward motion my curls are nice and define by the end.
This new method has shaved even more time off my wash day and it’s totally simple. After about a month and a half of this method, I was able to see a difference in the definition of my curls. Plus my twists out are starting to last longer. If you haven’t already try the method out or at least researched it to see if this is a possibility for you. Until next time…

No comments:

Followers