Monday, April 18, 2011

Revisiting Old Products

 The summer is coming and humidity is no joke in Texas. This summer I want to rock more curly styles but I have to get the moisture balance in check first. Now that I’m completely natural and recently learned my hair is highly porous things have changed. For me I need added protection and hold to battle the humidity if I want to wear my hair curly. Unlike some naturals I’m not a product junkie and I refuse to pay for expensive products.


So in order to keep my routine simple I decided to revisit an old product, aloe vera gel. Before when I used the aloe vera gel on my transitioning hair it left my hair hard and crunchy. Everyone raves about this gel but for some reason it didn’t work for me. Now that I’m 100% natural I decided to give it another try. Boy I’m glad I did because the gel gave me hold without all the “crunch”. An added bonus is that my curls lasted for 7 hours of humidity, heat, and wind before starting to frizz. By this time I was at home for the rest of the day and proceeded to moisturize and seal my hair.

Now the plan was to try to get 3 days worth of curls from this braid out. For moisture I used my Hawaiian Silky 14-n-1 and sealed with my Shea butter mix. Yes Hawaiian Silky has mineral oil in it but again I’m not an ingredient Nazi. This product worked wonders on my transitioning hair so I was excited to see the results. The next day my hair was very soft and moisturized but after an hour of being outside, frizz city! For now I plan to continue experimenting with the aloe vera gel.


No comments:

Followers