Monday, January 18, 2010

Challenge Completed: 1 Year No Heat


In December 2009 I started my own personal “1 Year No Heat” challenge. The purpose of the challenge was to force myself to learn heat free styles. Heat damage was a major factor in the destruction of my tresses. Flat ironing my hair was a daily routine and using a heat protectant never crossed my mind. I was too focused on having that “swang” as some may call it. In addition to staying away from flat irons I air dried with every wash. Within the last year my hair was flat ironed twice for trims and length checks.


Now one year without flat ironing and blowing drying was really tough. I basically quit cold turkey and boy was I craving. However, I had a little inspiration to keep on track. The day I decided to start my challenge my flat iron caught on fire. That’s right caught on fire. Crazy enough that week I used my flat iron at least twice. The third time using the flat iron I’m thinking “This is the third time this week and the last time. I can’t get heat damage all over again”. Then boom a spark and my flat iron burn out. Needless to say, that was a sign for me and the challenge started that day.

Every time I went to Wal-Mart, Sally’s, or Target I had to walk really fast past the flat iron aisle. Those flat irons were definitely calling my name. Yet, I’m happy to say I was able to stay away. The new flat iron came at nine months into my challenge then I weaved it up for another two months. I truly believe not having a flat iron and wearing a weave during my last stretch is the reason for my success.

For the past year my go to hair style was anything with curls. Curly hairstyles helped to camouflage the two textures. Plus I got a cute style with minimum heat that I absolutely love. Now that I’m in love with curly styles my transition is easier because the urge to flat iron has subsided tremendously.





December 2008
December 2009

No comments:

Followers